The Tjerkwerd Homminga's & Homine Homminga of the Crusades?

algemene vragen over genealogisch onderzoek bij Tresoar
Plaats reactie
Aaron

The Tjerkwerd Homminga's & Homine Homminga of the Crusades?

Bericht door Aaron »

I was curious if there has ever been any research done to connect the Homminga family of Homminga State in Tjerkwerd with the Homine Homminga who left to fight in the Crusades in the year 1101.

There's a few vague references to the Homminga crusader in this book: De Nederlandsche leeuw : tijdschrift van het Koninklijk Nederlandsch Genootschap voor Geslacht- en Wapenkunde.
"Homine Homminga, studeerde in Italië en ging 1101 met Camminga naar Jeruzalem."
"Sixtus Camminga, studeerde in Italië en ging in den jare 1101 met Ockinga, Roorda en Homminga naar Jeruzalem."
These Frisian nobles later returned to Frisia and their victories in the Crusades were celebrated on 11 Dec 1106.

The eldest Homminga I have in my family tree is Aucke (Augustynus) Siuwckes Homminga (died 1651). He is buried in the Tjerkwerd church and has an impressive gravestone with the family coat-of-arms of all four of his grandparents on the corners.

I was also hoping to find some good photographs of that gravestone. The church is now a private hall and not open to the public.

As a wealthy landowner, is it possible there are also some extant painted portraits of the family members in a museum or some private collection?
hesseldewalle
Contacteer:

Re: The Tjerkwerd Homminga's & Homine Homminga of the Crusad

Bericht door hesseldewalle »

Hello Aaron,

I do have a picture of his tombstone. You can find a low resolution version of it on http://www.walmar.nl/inscripties.asp

If you want, I can send you a better one. Just e-mail me through hesseldewalle@gmail.com

Regards

Hessel de Walle
Geïnteresseerd in grafschriften en andere opschriften van voor 1811
Aaron

Bericht door Aaron »

Thank you very much. That was an excellent photo of the gravestone. The details are very clear.

I would really like to find some images of the family coat-of-arms. The heraldic details on the gravestone have all been completely worn away by 350 years of foot traffic in the church.
The central one is the Homminga-Buwalda coat-of-arms. And on the four corners are the coat-of-arms of the families of the parents of Aucke (van) Homminga and his wife, namely Homminga, Algera, Buwalda, Stapert.

The "Homminga State" house in Tjerkwerd also has the Homminga-Buwalda coat-of-arms on an old stone plaque on the wall, but after three and half centuries of wind and rain it is also worn completely smooth.

Is there a book or some online source which covers Frisian heraldry?
hesseldewalle
Contacteer:

Bericht door hesseldewalle »

Hello Aaron,

How about this one http://www.walmar.nl/wapens.asp

You can find the coat of arms of Algera, Buwalda and Stapert. I don't have any example of Homminga.

Regards

Hessel de Walle
Geïnteresseerd in grafschriften en andere opschriften van voor 1811
Plaats reactie